Thursday, March 12, 2009

Gaza Strip

I want to start by talking about Gaza, Palestine... It is a paradise on earth! Despite the torn apart refugee camps and the destruction of homes and infrastructures all around, the land is beautiful, the people are beautiful, the solidarity of the Palestinians is stronger and braver than any Israeli military forces.  It is amazing how dear this country is to me, I was in tears as soon as I crossed the border.  This is my first time in my own country after 31 years!  I'm a direct descendant from the village of Dair Yaseen, in the West Bank.  The most famous massacre in the history of Palestine in 1948.  My grandparents were among the very few that fled this massacre.  In fact I don't know anyone from Dair Yaseen except my family members and when I am asked where in Palestine I am from... people are shocked to find out that there were any survivors!  So long story short, my family and I have NO RIGHT of RETURN. Therefor I never got to see my country.  Let me tell you about my journey.  I stayed in Rafah for the first 4 days and drove to Gaza City everyday.  We met with so many organizations and went to so many neighborhoods that were completely demolished.  If what I saw is not war crimes, then I'm not sure what is.  Some neighborhoods that were completely leveled were given tents, while others couldn't even get a bag of bread.  It's a disaster zone.  The families are torn apart because the while the mother takes her children and stays in other family or friends homes, the dads sleep on the rubble to claim their land.  It is so inhumane what is going on here.  Do you know that there is an extreme shortage of paper here?  No paper to print or re-print books for schools to teach because paper is not a humanitarian aid item.  Do you know that pasta was not allowed in?  Because pasta is not a necessary humanitarian aid item.  Do you know that tomato paste is not allowed in?  Same reason once again.  The chicken farm, the ONLY chicken farm was demolished and the people here don't have chicken either.  I mean don't get me wrong, pasta is now allowed into Gaza, but you can't have your tomato sauce with it.  So thank God and the Palestinian master minds for the tunnels!!  In Arabic we say "Necessity is the mother of innovation"  and these people are not stupid!  It takes 2 to 4 months to dig a tunnel and they use these tunnels to bring cattle, sheep, chocolate bars, food, etc.  Not weapons.  They learn to survive.  I admire their strength and courage.  I envy them for their hard work and determination.  Even the rich businessmen who can afford and are able to live abroad stick around here, they aren't willing to give this paradise up for any cost.  They take it for its good and its bad times.  I have seen very emotionally disturbing areas of destruction and heard heartbreaking stories, yet I have seen the beauty of Gaza at the same time.  One of the organizations I have been to is the Palestinian Children Relief Fund.  I saw for myself the services they provide to the community.  I also met the children that they treat in and out of Gaza.  Mostly are severe injuries and are highly costly, but they do a wonderful job.  These kids were amazingly strong, and somehow broken.  They display their strength and courage in their conversations and actions, but if you look deep into their eyes, you will see that life for them will never be the same.  I met 4 boys ages range from 10-16 years-old, all with one leg cut off, or one with no foot.  Most were sponsored to travel to the UAE for treatment.  They also work hard on getting travel visas for children traveling to other countries for their treatments as well as getting their passports. If anyone is to make a charitable donation, I would highly recommend PCRF.  They also provide school supplies and baby formula to the community.  They treat chronically ill children as well.  They are amazing.  

1 comment: